Oral Health Tips
October 1, 2023
- Practice good oral hygiene.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily between the teeth to remove dental plaque.
- Visit your dentist at least once a year, even if you have no natural teeth or have dentures.
- Do not use any tobacco products. If you smoke, make a plan to quit.
- Limit/avoid alcoholic drinks.
- If you have diabetes, work to maintain control of the disease. This will decrease risk for other complications, including gum disease. Treating gum disease may help lower your blood sugar level.
- If your medication causes dry mouth, ask your doctor for a different medication that may not cause this condition. If dry mouth can’t be avoided, drink plenty of water.
- See your doctor or a dentist if you have sudden changes in taste and smell or notice any sores in and around your mouth.